I stopped drinking cows milk last year and replaced it with almond milk. Afterwards I became more aware of all the different milk options and OMG! I mean the list goes on and on. Did you know you can basically make milk out of any nut? Awesome right!? The variety of different flavors you can create are endless. After seeing oat milk for sale at my local supermarket and reading the label I was determined to make my own. 20 grams of sugar per cup is a little much for me. Of course I am sure there are other options out there without sugar, but hey any excuse to pull out my blender and nut milk bag, right!?
So here it is — a simple basic recipe to make your own oat milk and make it as sweet or as unsweet as you may like. I had this in my coffee the other day and it was amazing! Much different than almond milk, a little thicker and creamier and full of flavor.
Let me know if you give it a try!
Vanilla Oat Milk
- 1 cup of oats
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 1 pitted date or sweetener of choice or no sweetener at all
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend for about a minute
- Strain your milk using a nut milk bag, cheese cloth or even a colander
- Store in a glass jar for up to 4-5 days
- Homemade milk tends to separate – give it a good shake before using!